Thursday, August 1, 2013

I'm Back

After spending 6 days with some our teens at CIY Move in Cleveland, TN, (TN6) I have finally recovered enough to start up the blog again.  It has taken me 6 days to recover from 6 days of the wonder that is CIY (and a nasty cold caught when I returned home). 

I am grateful for Gary Hawes and his willingness to share the Word and his ministry with our congregation two Sundays ago.  It is good to know that my people are well cared for when I am gone.

I began my sermon series on gratitude last Sunday with three powerful stories.  Betsie and Corrie ten Boom taught us how we need to give thanks even in times of discomfort (or fleas in their case).  Joseph demonstrates how we should be grateful for the pits and prisons that God uses for good.  Finally, Matthew Henry showed how to find good in the midst of the bad after being robbed.

Gratitude is a discipline that leads to a state of mind.  The discipline trains us to look beyond circumstances and connect with the God that stands behind the situations of our lives.  As Corrie pointed out to her sister, Betsie, we should "give thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thess. 5:18).

To close: I am very grateful for the young people and Judy Kavsh (our adult sponsor) who attended the event with me last week.  We were not sure if we were going to be able to go this year, and God worked it out.  CIY was great.  The teens were super.  Judy was a blessing.  I was able to see my parents and mother-in-law.  All in all, I have a lot to be grateful for.  Not the least of which is the fact that I was able to come home to my loving wife, Paula.  Thanks for making coming home so awesome, Babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment