Thursday, August 8, 2013

Handicaps?

One of my greatest joys as a young person was working with the Special Olympics.  Perhaps growing up in a nursing home helped me to look beyond the exterior of a person and see something more.  Maybe it was just the way my parents raised me.  I don't know for sure, but I do know that I love "special" people.

Some of the most inspirational and spiritual people I have ever known were "special."  Heidi was a dear friend at my church in Ohio who welcomed everyone with open arms.  She held nothing back and held nothing over anyone, even those who had treated her badly.  My new friend, Keith, has humbled me on a number of occasions as he has prayed sacred prayers over me.  His faith is amazing. 

I see these people as "special," not because of handicaps, but because they are special.  What are handicaps?  Are they simply ways in which we are not like the norm?  Are they things that make us different?  We all have our capabilities and our handicaps.  For some of us it is just easier to recognize them. 

The depth of Christian spirituality can only be understood when Jesus transcends our earthly view.  As long as we focus upon who we are, we can never truly see who He is.  I am what I am.  That is a simple statement, but a difficult reality to accept.  Jesus loves me this I know.  He loves me.  Capabilities and handicaps. 

I have found that when I embrace my handicaps I become free to live instead of worrying about overcoming them.  All of my handicaps and abilities must be laid at Jesus' feet.  I may not see how He can use them, but I have faith that He can.

I can tell the parents whose child was born with feet going the wrong way that it can be OK.  I can tell the parents of a child with scotopic sensitivity syndrome that it can be overcome.  I can tell the frustrated parents of a child with ADD that the child can have a productive life.  I know these statements to be true because I have overcome them all.  It is only with these handicaps that I can offer this encouragement.  It is only with this life that I can share my story.

I don't know why God chose me to be the messenger, but I trust that He knows what He is doing.  That's the point of faith, right?

God, thanks for my handicaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment