Thursday, August 15, 2013

Answers from Ministers

I posed the question, "Is God really in control?" in a ministers forum to see what kind of responses I would get.  To confirm my thought, ministers have as difficult time as any of us in answering that question.  Perhaps we have it worse as advocates for God.

I am coming to a new position.  I no longer feel a need to be an apologist for God.  He is God, and I am not.  I rarely understand why my world plays out the way it does.  Sometimes I get a brief glimpse of clarity, but mostly my life and the ways of God are a mystery to me.  But . . . in faith, I trust that His control of my world is dictated by His divine love.

Active control, passive responsibility, total predestination, free will are all linguistic attempts to explain the mysteries of God.  I don't see them as inappropriate, just inadequate.  His ways are so far above mine that my insolent attitude that assumes that I can divine the innerworkings of His will must be offensive to our Creator and Sustainer. 

Do not misunderstand.  I believe we can know His will, but that is a function of His Holy Spirit and His special revelation.  I have a poem that I use in funerals that states, "I cannot see with my small human sight, Why God should lead this way or that for me; I only know He saith, 'Child, follow me.' But I can trust."

We can trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment