Tuesday, January 20, 2015

RADICAL - Why the world? (a blogpst for a sermon based on David Platt's book, "Radical", to be preached on January 25, 2015)

Do you see yourself as a "global Christian"?  The term has been thrown around for a few years now.  The idea is that we need to, not only identify with believers around the globe, but we must become involved in the work of the church around the world.  

I come from a tradition that is more interested in the church universal than the church denominational.  Our perspective is that we are all a part of God's church which is the company of believers on this planet, and that sub-dividing the whole church into smaller parts is only a sub-dividing of the whole.  What I mean is that the reality of God's church is found in pieces all around the earth.  Our connection will certainly be different with people on the other side of the world than with those we worship with, but we have a connection none-the-less.

I remember finding out a few years ago that I have more relatives in the metro Detroit area than I once thought.  I knew I had an aunt, uncle, two cousins and their children, but it wasn't until a copier salesman came into my office that I learned that I have many other relatives from my paternal grandma's side of the family.

I called my dad and asked questions I had never thought of before.  Could this salesman be related to be?  His last name was Hensley after all.  Is there family that is my age or my son's?  How close were they to my grandma?  Where do they live?  How have I lived here for almost 14 years and nobody ever mentioned this?  

Although I did not realize that I had family right next to where I lived, I did.  Even though I never thought about them, they existed.  Not seeing a connection does not mean there is not one there.

We have family all over this planet if we belong to the family of God.  We use that image a lot at Kenwood Church.  We see ourselves as close family members who love, serve, and care for one another.  We also need to see our brothers and sisters in faith as family as well.  Even if we have never thought about them, they are family still.  

I need to find the Hensley's in metro Detroit, and we need to find our Christian family scattered near and far.  Good hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment