Monday, January 26, 2015

RADICAL - The Multiplying Community - Make Disciples (a blogpost for a sermon based upon David Platt's "Radical" for a sermon to be preached on February 4, 2015)

The very power that called creation into existence resided within Jesus.  He could call 10,000 angels, offer unprecedented displays of power, bring the dead back to life.  He could.

If I had that kind of power, I would not have chosen Jesus' method of promoting His cause.  Albeit, the followers of Jesus did go on to do some amazing, miraculous things; their standard operating procedure was to make disciples.  They would change the world, not by brute force, but by the transforming nature of discipleship.  The apostles would show others how to faithfully follow God by showing them how Jesus demonstrated a life lived toward God to them.

I would have acted like a dictator, not a teacher; a king, not a servant; a son of man in power, not a son of God in weakness.  I would have forced their hand.  I would have acted just like me, but perhaps that's why Jesus chose the discipleship model.  The point is not that others become like me, but that we all become like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment