Tuesday, January 6, 2015

RADICAL - Too Hungry (a blogpost for a sermon based on David Platt's "Radical" to be preached on January 11, 2015)

"Too hungry"?????????????????  I must admit that I have been too tired, sore, poor, slow, old, young, tall, but I don't remember many times that I could claim to be too hungry.  I have been hungry (actually I usually am).  I have been really hungry.  But, too hungry, I don't think so.

I don't think I have ever been at the point to where I couldn't go just a little bit longer without food. A few minutes or hours would not have made a real difference in my life.  My appetite has always been blessed with enough food to never get to the "too hungry" stage.

I have witnessed children in Mexico who were so hungry that they could not eat all that their bodies wanted.  The pain from the hunger was a real problem.  They had to eat a little so they could eat a lot.  I also remember these children at times getting food but without substance, and their little bodies were "too hungry" for what was served.

I wonder if I am not "too hungry" for God's word because I have so many other good things in my life.  A good house, car, job, friends, income, family, all keep me pretty satisfied.

"Too hungry for words" conjures the idea that words alone are not enough.  Platt is challenging us to get to the place where we desire God so much that words are not enough.  Is your spiritual diet so filled with words that you do not desire to move beyond them?  Are you prepared to make your meal from the actions of discipleship rather than the words of an acolyte?

No comments:

Post a Comment