Tuesday, July 16, 2019

SEEKING THE HEART OF JESUS: A Heart That Reaches - God Works in Confusing Ways (a blog post for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church on July 21, 2019)

"God works in mysterious ways."  I can't count the number of times I have heard that expression.  It is usually used when God does something to resolves an issue in an unusual way.  A good result brought about by an unusual turn of circumstances or an intervention from an unexpected source.

The story of the Canaanite woman reminds me that God works in confusing ways. 

Jesus took his entourage all the way out to the coast of the Mediterranean Sea.  They went all that way until they ran into a Syrophoenician woman who needed an exorcism for her daughter.  Jesus ignores the woman.  Then calls her a dog.  Then indicates that He will not heal her daughter.  Then He heals her.

That is a roundabout way to do good.  Frankly, there seems to be needless added drama.  The woman's request could have been easily handled at first request.  Certainly, she didn't change the mind of the Lord of All.  I think this story is confusing.

I think that sometimes God's ways are just confusing.  On my best day, I think I understand God.  On my worst day, I think I understand God.  Perhaps when I'm confused I'm right where I should be.  Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment