Friday, July 26, 2019

SEEKING THE HEART OF JESUS: A Heart That Restores - Spitting in Your Eyes (Outline for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church on July 28, 2019)

One of the most overwhelming emotional responses I have ever had was felt when I was spit upon.  To be honest, it has happened to me more times than I care to recount.  The shock and awe are palpable.  The unbelief.  The mystery.  The . . .  The initial visceral response is one of outrageous aggression.

Jesus pulled this man away from the crowds and then spits in his eyes.  Even though he could not see it, no doubt the blind man had to know what that sound was.  How could healing come from that?  Why would the creative force of the cosmos choose to heal through spit?  Why would He do that?

I certainly don't know the answer to that particular conundrum, but I am sure of this, the blind man was surely happy about no longer being blind.  At times Jesus healed with words, with a touch, and with spit.   

I sure hope that if I am every blessed to be healed by the Great Physician that I am humble enough to allow Jesus to heal whichever way He chooses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment