Wednesday, June 26, 2019

SEEKING THE HEART OF JESUS: A Heart that Accepts (a blog post for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church in Livonia, Mi, on June 30, 2019)

The story of the woman at the well is full of social taboos.  Jesus encounters a woman without her partner, in the middle of town, a Samaritan no less.  He certainly knew the implications of his behavior; yet, he moved forward with the encounter anyway.  He was bold and brash.  He seemed more concerned about this half-breed woman than the acceptable norms of his day.  In the eyes of many, he had just gone too far.

This story has always intrigued me because I am supposed to be like Jesus.  The problem is that I don't know what that looks like in light of this story.  Am I supposed to break social mores?  Am I supposed to take a pragmatic approach to serving others (the end justifies the means)?  Do I act in a way that shows my disdain or indifference for acceptable behavior?  Should I ignore the guiding principles of polite social culture? 

WWJD, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment