Tuesday, January 12, 2016

GOD USES SMALL THINGS! The Bigger They Are . . . (a blogpost for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church in Livonia, MI, on Jan. 17, 2016)

I grew up with a giant dad.  My father is 6 foot 8 inches tall.  From an early age, I recognized that my dad was a very big man and this placed the Biblical story about David and Goliath in an interesting position in my mind.  Instead of diminishing the stature of the giant from Gath, the story became even more impressive.  Goliath stood 2 feet taller than my dad.  That seemed unreal.  My giant did not even measure up to David's.

The amazing thing about my did is that he is just a man, a very big man but just a man.  He is big and strong, but he is still human.  Goliath was as well.  He as really, really big, but he was still human, still vulnerable, and still defeatable.

The giants that stand before us in life are not unbeatable.  They are not all powerful.  They are not unstoppable.  They are not invincible.

As the young shepherd discovered, giants just make a louder sound when they hit the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment