Saturday, January 9, 2021

THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT - "I Need Thee Every Hour"

 THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT - "I Need Thee Every Hour" - 1-10-21


INTRODUCTION


Tears-When was the last time you cried to God for help?


Philip Yancey had been told "Read the psalms for comfort" but when he did he would wind up reading one of the "wintriest psalms" and end up feeling "frostily depressed."  


Example


Your wrath has swept over me; your terrors have destroyed me. All day long they surround me like a flood; they have completely engulfed me. You have taken from me friend and neighbor— darkness is my closest friend. (‭Psalm‬ ‭88‬:‭16-18‬ NIV)


The psalter is not a book about God, but a book written to God, someone else's prayer journal.


"I Need Thee Every Hour"


I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;

No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.


Refrain:

I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;

Every hour I need Thee;

Oh, bless me now, my Savior,

I come to Thee.


I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;

Temptations lose their pow’r when Thou art nigh.


I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;

Come quickly and abide, or life is vain.


I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;

And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.


I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;

Oh, make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.


Refrain:

I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;

Every hour I need Thee;

Oh, bless me now, my Savior,

I come to Thee.


I.  LAMENT


A.  A good cry


Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy. If you, Lord, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you. I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope. I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning. (‭Psalm‬ ‭130‬:‭1-6‬ NIV)


B.  Honesty


II.  CONTENTMENT


My heart is not proud, Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content. Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore. (‭Psalm‬ ‭131‬:‭1-3‬ NIV)


A.  A weaned child

1.  I have calmed and quieted myself

2.  I am content

B.  How do we get there?


Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.  James‬ ‭1‬:‭2-8NIV)


Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. (‭James‬ ‭1‬:‭12‬ NIV)


1.  Testing of faith develops perseverance

2.  Mature and complete, not lacking anything

3.  Single minded

4.  Having stood the test


CONCLUSION


A man named Victor Frankl, a Jewish psychologist, discovered this great truth in the midst of a Jewish concentration camp during WW II. While seeking to survive the horror of this imprisonment Frankl began observing his fellow prisoners in the hope of discovering what coping mechanism would help him endure this horrendous existence. What Frankl discovered was this... 


Those individuals who could not accept what was happening to them, who could not make their present suffering fit with their faith, who could not find it’s meaning in their world view... they despaired, lost hope, and eventually gave up and died. But those individuals that could find a meaning from their faith, were then able to find hope for a future beyond their present suffering, and so could accept what they were enduring as a part of their existence, and they survived.


How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death, and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” and my foes will rejoice when I fall. But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me. (‭Psalm‬ ‭13‬:‭1-6‬ NIV)


CHALLENGE


“Keep Kenwood Connected” - over the month of January our challenges will relate to connecting with one another.  This is digital week.  Text or email three people this week.  We have directories available if you need one.  


INVITATION


It is our custom to offer an "invitation" following the preaching of the Word.  You may want to follow Jesus.  You may want to proclaim your faith.  You may want to repent (stop doing ungodly things and start doing Godly things).  Perhaps you want to be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Possibly, if you have already responded to God’s call in these ways, you would like to become a member of Kenwood Church.  If you have been moved by the Holy Spirit to make a decision in your life, I would be honored to speak with you in the upper parking lot following the service about what God is doing in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment