Tuesday, October 8, 2019

THANKSGIVING: An Attitude of Gratitude (a blogpost for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church of Christ in Livonia, MI, on October 13, 2019)

"Thanksgiving: An Attitude of Gratitude" is our new sermon series.  We will journey through the Scriptures as we look at being thankful. 

Last week we considered Philippians 4:6, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."  I confessed that my life has been full of anxiety during our building renewal.  In fact, I think I was more stressed returning from vacation than before I left.  

Thanksgiving allows me to express that it is going to be OK even before the events unfold.  Paul's admonition to pray and petition "with thanksgiving" seems to put the cart before the horse but actually gets the horse where it ought to be.  I should have been thankful for what God would do to get us through the renovations.  I really should have.

Before I left for vacation, we thought we would have to destroy the majority of the pews in order to get them out of the way.  After returning, God showed that He had already taken care of it.  Jim Pittman, Betty Page's nephew, graciously took all of the pews to Saranac and is repurposing them.  He has a history of helping people in need and intends to use the pews to do just that.

I challenged us all to keep a "Gratitude Journal" for the next 2 months until the sermon series concludes at the end of November.  I have also asked that you consider posting a comment on this blog, www.kenwoodsermons.blogspot.com, about your reasons to be thankful.  

Let's be thankful people.  Let's show people what's in our hearts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment