Tuesday, March 8, 2016

RISEN - Resurrection: Myth or Miracle? (a blogpost for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church in Livonia, MI, on March 13, 2016)

How would you prove that the resurrection is a myth or a miracle?  Could you do it?  Can it be done?  
I maintain that proving either would take faith.  You would have to trust in something to make your case.  Your proof would be founded by some element of a belief system.  

I choose faith in the miracle of God.  I choose that truth because my faith demonstrates the reality of that choice.  I know that Jesus came back from the dead because my faith informs my life in Christ of the power of the resurrection.  I share in his resurrection and have been changed by that power.  I am my own proof.  

How could someone prove that it is a myth?  A scroll with a confession of a contrived Sunday miracle, a 2000 year old videotape, an ancient tree that started to speak, a telescope focused on Jerusalem that could look back through time, etc.  It would take a stand upon ones convictions that the miracle could not have happened which would be as much a leap of faith as my personal leap of faith.

If I must leap, then let me leap with God.  For those of you who must leap without God, I hope there is someone to catch you when you land.

No comments:

Post a Comment