Monday, August 11, 2014

WEIRD RELATIONSHIPS: Because Normal Isn't Working (a blogpost for a sermon to be preached on August 17, 2014)

I do not want to have a normal marriage.  In my opinion, as a minister who does marriage counseling, I want to stay as far away from normal as possible.  While relationships offer a depth of life and love that cannot come from any other source, it seems that the norm is for people to be unhappy, dissatisfied, and downright bitter toward those people closest to them.

The message for August 17 is going to focus on weird relationships.

Paula and I (my wife of 22 years) started out with a very weird relationship.  After knowing each other as good friends  for many months, we finally decided to try dating, but not before the weirdness.  Our first date, was a Bible study at Druthers across from the campus of the Bible college we attended.  Our first priority was our commitment to God and that came before any love affair.  In that booth with Bibles, commentaries, and two seriously committed weirdos, I fell in love with my soulmate.  She was unlike anyone I had ever known, and I knew that God had made her weird just for me.  We were a matched set.  We even gave away the coats from off our backs to a local "bum" before we made it back to the dorms.  That's pretty weird for a first date.

I think we are as weird today as we were back then, but I must admit that we have allowed normal to creep in some through the years.  I will be honest and say that I do not care at all for normal.  Weird is where it's at!

So, Babe, if you are reading this, I renew my commitment to weird just for you.  I love you.

Your man,

Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment