Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Boasting

Bragging is a full-contact sport when we are kids.  "My dad is richer."  "My mom is smarter."  "My dad is bigger."  That was mine.  I could honestly say that my dad was the biggest parent of any of my friends.  At 6'8" and around 300 lbs., he is one of the biggest people that I have ever known.

But, what did that bragging get me?  My gloating did not change any facts.  My gloating did not get me anywhere.  My gloating only escalated the intensity of the rivalry.

Actually, my boasting did not change the size of my father.   He remained unchanged.  I, however, became a champion at bragging.  My accomplishment - I demonstrated that I could take credit for something I had no control or influence over.  I had become a resounding gong.  I was all noise and no substance.

So, I won, but what did I really win?

No comments:

Post a Comment