Saturday, February 20, 2021

THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT - Jesus, Lover of My Soul

 THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT - Jesus, Lover of My Soul - 2-21-21


INTRODUCTION


"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ."

2 Corinthians‬ ‭1‬:‭3-5‬ NIV


Jesus, Lover of My Soul, the Song and the Story


Composer Charles Wesley Writes Jesus, Lover of My Soul


Charles Wesley (1707-1788) and his brother John, were the founders of the Methodist church.  It was a time of great change within the Christian church, and emotional responses to the new thing God was doing ran deep. It was not unusual for violence to result.


On one particular occasion in 1740, Wesley was preaching in the fields of a parish in Ireland when he was attacked by men who did not approve of his doctrines. He escaped to a farmhouse, where the farmer's wife hid him in the milkhouse. When the mob approached her home to demand the fugitive, the brave Christian lady quieted them temporarily with refreshments. While Charles' would-be captors were eating and planning their next move, she snuck out to the milkhouse and directed Wesley to go through a rear window and to hide under a hedge.


From his hiding place, which was situated by a quiet babbling brook, Wesley could hear the movement and angry voices of his pursuers. He settled back into the hedge to await their departure. He filled his waiting time by composing a hymn; a prayer of trust in God as his refuge: Jesus, Lover of My Soul.


Over the years, several musical scores have been written to accompany this hymn. The most popular has been a melody and arrangement by Joseph Parry (1841-1903), in 1879.


Jesus, Lover of My Soul


Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,

While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.

Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;

Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.


Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee;

Leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me.

All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;

Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.


Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?

Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall, Lo! on Thee I cast my care;

Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,

Hoping against hope I stand, dying, and behold, I live.


Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in Thee I find;

Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick, and lead the blind.

Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness;

False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.


Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;

Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within.

Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;

Spring Thou up within my heart; rise to all eternity.


I.  God Is Our Lover


A.  God is the source of love

1.  1 John 4

B.  God's love as seen in Jesus


This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. (‭1 John‬ ‭4‬:‭9-10‬ NIV)


For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. (‭John‬ ‭3‬:‭16-17‬ NIV)


II.  God Is Our Helper (Hebrews 13:5)


for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me” (Hebrews 13: 5b, 6)


A.  Help

1.  What is help?

2.  We need help

B.  Helper


III.  God Is Our Hiding Place (Psalm 32)


Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord does not count against them and in whose spirit is no deceit. When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin. Therefore let all the faithful pray to you while you may be found; surely the rising of the mighty waters will not reach them. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you. Many are the woes of the wicked, but the Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in him. Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart! (‭Psalm‬ ‭32‬:‭1-11‬ NIV)


A.  Safe place

B.  Hiding place

C.  A place of trust

CONCLUSION


Testimonies of God's help


CHALLENGE


“Keep Kenwood Connected” - we always strive to connect with one another.  We are also "Connecting the world to Jesus."  This is the week we actually decide who God would like us to talk to about a relationship with Jesus.  Write down the person you should talk to about their connection to Jesus.


INVITATION


It is our custom to offer an "invitation" following the preaching of the Word.  You may want to follow Jesus.  You may want to proclaim your faith.  You may want to repent (stop doing ungodly things and start doing Godly things).  Perhaps you want to be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Possibly, if you have already responded to God’s call in these ways, you would like to become a member of Kenwood Church.  If you have been moved by the Holy Spirit to make a decision in your life, I would be honored to speak with you in the upper parking lot following the service about what God is doing in your life.

1 comment: