Saturday, February 13, 2021

THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT - Abide with Me, My Redeemer

THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT - Abide with Me, My Redeemer - 2-14-21


INTRODUCTION


"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ."

2 Corinthians‬ ‭1‬:‭3-5‬ NIV


The hymn, Abide with Me, My Redeemer, is the basis for the sermon for this week.  It is unfamiliar to me as a hymn but the words have been mine for many years.  "Just stay with me God!"


Abide with Me, My Redeemer


Abide with me, fast falls the eventide, The darkness deepens, Lord with me abide 

When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Help of the helpless Lord, abide 


I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless, Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness 

Where is death's sting? Where grave thy victory?, I triumph still if Thou abide 


I know that my Redeemer lives, And I will see Him with my eyes

Yet in death, I will see Him, In my flesh I will see God, Abide with me, abide with me


Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes, Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies 

Heav'n's morning breaks and earth's vain shadows flee, In life, in death, Oh Lord, abide 


I know that my Redeemer lives, And I will see Him with my eyes

Yet in death, I will see Him, In my flesh I will see God, Abide with me, abide with me


I.  ABIDE WITH ME


A.  Stay with me


  Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; but they were kept from recognizing him. He asked them, “What are you discussing together as you walk along?” They stood still, their faces downcast. One of them, named Cleopas, asked him, “Are you the only one visiting Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?” “What things?” he asked. “About Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place. In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.” He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself. As they approached the village to which they were going, Jesus continued on as if he were going farther. But they urged him strongly, “Stay with us, for it is nearly evening; the day is almost over.” So he went in to stay with them. When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?” They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together and saying, “It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.” Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread. (‭Luke‬ ‭24‬:‭13-35‬ NIV)


II.  OTHERS FAIL ME


A.  Relying on People

1.  People are fallible

2.  Jesus' people are the exception


B.  They will only let you down


1.  Job and Eliphaz

As I have observed, those who plow evil and those who sow trouble reap it. (‭Job‬ ‭4‬:‭8‬ NIV)


2.  The best companions are still human


III.  I KNOW MY REDEEMER LIVES


"Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deut. 31:6) "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Heb. 13:5) 


 These promises of God have always given me great comfort. Knowing that God is always with me has given me great strength. I will never be left, forgotten, forsaken, cast aside, discarded, thrown away, etc. God will always be with me. 


 Another promise of God was given by Jesus just before He left this earth. He said, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Mt. 28:20) This promise sounds very much like the other two, but I want to promote a little different twist on this verse. Jesus was certainly reiterating the promise of God to his apostles. He was assuring them that He would be with them forever. Where God had not left Israel in Deuteronomy; Jesus had left the Twelve for 3 days. He was separated from them by His death. Jesus' words serve as a reminder that since He has conquered death, nothing will ever separate them again. 


 The words of Paul in Romans 8:31b-39: 


 31b If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”[j] 37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[k] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


CONCLUSION


Henry Francis Lyte (1793-1847) and his wife Ann were faithful pastors of a little fishing town in Devonshire England, for 23 years. Although Henry's health was compromised, he worked tirelessly ministering to his parish, taking care of his family, and writing poems and hymns.


In 1844, Henry was diagnosed with Tuberculosis. Over the next three years his physical condition deteriorated until finally on September 4, 1847, at the age of 54, he stood in the pulpit for the last time to deliver his farewell message. 


That same afternoon, after taking a walk on the beach, Henry retired to his room. He emerged about an hour later with a written copy of Abide With Me. He left soon after for a trip to Italy, to get away from the cold, damp coastal weather. While en route to his destination, he mailed a revised copy of Abide With Me to his wife. A few days later while resting in a hotel on the French Riviera, Henry went home to be with Jesus. A fellow clergyman who was with Henry during his final hours reported that Henry's last words were Peace! Joy!


Jesus stay close


With Jesus we can make it through anything.  Some of us this morning do not have anyone who will remain faithful.  Some of us have well meaning people.  Some of us need someone who is closer than a brother.


CHALLENGE


“Keep Kenwood Connected” continues from last month.  We need to remain connected.  This month we have added "Connect the World with Jesus" in which we are striving to connect others with Jesus.  Last week I asked you to pray that God will give you an opportunity to speak to someone about how Him.  This week pray that God will show you who that person is this week.


INVITATION


It is our custom to offer an "invitation" following the preaching of the Word.  You may want to follow Jesus.  You may want to proclaim your faith.  You may want to repent (stop doing ungodly things and start doing Godly things).  Perhaps you want to be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Possibly, if you have already responded to God’s call in these ways, you would like to become a member of Kenwood Church.  If you have been moved by the Holy Spirit to make a decision in your life, I would be honored to speak with you in the upper parking lot following the service about what God is doing in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment