Thursday, February 4, 2016

GOD USES SMALL THINGS! Why Can't I See It? (a blogpost for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church in Livonia, MI, on Feb. 7, 2016)

Jesus tested Philip by asking him, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?" (John 6:5).  Philip basically said, "There is no way for us to be able to afford all that food!" (John 6:7).  Philip could not see the solution to the problem.

Have you ever had someone try to help you see something that you just can't see?  Something in the bushes, a cloud formation in the sky, a Corn Flake in the shape of a dinosaur.  I have a visual perception disorder that makes seeing those hidden 3D pictures difficult.  I can sometimes tell what is there, but I can never really "see" it.  Images can be hard to apprehend at times.

Jesus' closest followers often could not see what the Master was trying to show them.  The feeding of the 5,000 demonstrates this so clearly.  Jesus knew how to take care of the problem; what he wanted to know is if the disciples could see it too.  Philip and Andrew tried but ultimately failed.

I often fail when trying to peer through the murky waters of this life to see the hand of God at work.  I look and stare and turn my head sideways but often see little more than what my eyes initially saw.  I don't have the creativity, vision, or faith to see what God would have me see.

God open my eyes to your marvelous work and help me to take my limitations off your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment