Monday, February 1, 2016

GOD USES SMALL THINGS! A Lunchbox (a blogpost for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church in Livonia, MI, on Feb. 7, 2016)

I did not have a cool lunchbox in grade school.  In fact, I don't think I owned one.  I always ate cafeteria food.  Actually, I love lunchroom food.  OK, I like anything.  I did not own a lunchbox though.

 I doubt the kid in John 6 (the one who had the five loaves and two fish) had a cool lunchbox.  While it might not have been the Samson and Goliath Special Edition, it was very important on that day.  5,000+ people had gathered and were without food.  Jesus' compassion demanded food right now.

There was no offering collected.  No cry was sent out to the local United Way.  God chose to use what was there.  A small boys lunch would be the seed for that meal, a little lunch to feed a great crowd.

I am sure a little planning could have easily taken care of this problem.  A note given earlier in the week could have reminded everyone to bring a meal or a dish to pass.  The apostles could have had a contingency plan ready.  Ravens could have fed the crowd like in the days of Elijah.  Nope, 5 loaves and 2 fish would work just fine.

When you have too little, do you see a big problem for you or a little problem for God?

No comments:

Post a Comment