Saturday, January 18, 2020

2020 VISION: RADICAL LOVE - Love is Patient - sermon outline (a blogpost for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church in Livonia, MI, on January 19, 2020)

2020 VISION: RADICAL LOVE - Love is Patient - 1 Corinthians 13 - January 19, 2020

Prayer

INTRODUCTION

Love is . . .

“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13:1-13‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Patience - presents (mine and Paula's lensball)

Do well, do poorly.

I.   LOVE IS PATIENT

A.  God's patience

“‘The Lord is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.’”
‭‭Numbers‬ ‭14:18‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:8-16‬ ‭NIV‬‬

B.  Jesus' patience

“Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14:8-11‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“Now Thomas (also known as Didymus ), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!””
‭‭John‬ ‭20:24-28‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1:13-17‬ ‭NIV‬‬

II.  WHAT IS GOING ON WHEN WE ARE NOT PATIENT?

A.  Our fallen humanity

B.  Our fragile will

C.  Our feeble walk


III.  HOW CAN I BE MORE PATIENT?

A.  Practice patience

B.  Stop complaining

"Do everything without grumbling" Philippians 2:14a

C.  Rid myself of self

D.  Allow the Spirit to work in me

E.  See the opportunity to grow

F.  Become more like Jesus
1.  Scripture

“Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:15‬ ‭NIV‬‬

2.  Our mind

“We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭10:5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:1-2‬ ‭NIV‬‬

3.  Our heart

“May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭3:5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“I pray that the Lord will guide you to be as loving as God and as patient as Christ.”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭3:5‬ ‭CEV‬‬

4.  Our actions

"Just do it!"  - Nike may have the copyright but not the reality.

CHALLENGE

Read 1 Corinthians 13 each day this week.  Memorize 1 Corinthians 13:4 “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.”  In the next 2 weeks.  Write down a list of the most difficult times for you to be patient.  Endeavor to improve in one of them this week.  Ask God's help.  Just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment