Sunday, September 29, 2019

SEEKING THE HEART OF JESUS: The Heart I Really Want - Sermon Outline (A blog post for a sermon to be preached at Kenwood Church in Livonia, MI, on September 29, 2019)

SEEKING THE HEART OF JESUS: The Heart I Really Want - September 29, 2019

Video - Worship countdown

Prayers

INTRODUCTION

Vacation is over.  Meltdown has been averted.  Life may return to normal, but I sure hope it doesn't.

Concluding sermon of my series was titled "SEEKING THE HEART OF JESUS: The Heart I Want."

Maid asked if we were Christians.  She saw my book.

Traveling out of the country - passports, copies of passports, TSA precheck,

I.  THE HEART I WANT IS . . . A NICE TITLE FOR A CONCLUDING SERMON IN A SERIES

"Are you Christians?"

A.  I never said anything about the heart I want

B.  I know what Jesus' heart was like

C.  I want Jesus' heart

II.  THE HEART I SETTLE FOR IS . . . A GOOD HEART

“You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:6-8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

A.   Good enough

B.  Good in comparison to others

III.  THE HEART I REALLY WANT IS . . . ONE THAT IDENTIFIES ME AS HIS

A.  Good
“In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
‭‭ Matthew‬ ‭5:16‬ ‭NIV‬‬

““Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.”
‭‭ Matthew‬ ‭6:1‬ ‭NIV‬‬

B.  Spirit filled
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”
‭‭ Galatians‬ ‭5:22-23‬ ‭NIV‬‬

C.  Love
““A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.””
‭‭ John‬ ‭13:34-35‬ ‭NIV‬‬

CHALLENGE

Passports identify us in places where we are not known.  Photo ID's, fingerprints, etc.

Reflect Jesus.  You are the light of the world.

Lighthouse at the end of Paradise Island.  Fort Fincastle

No comments:

Post a Comment