Thursday, December 17, 2015

THE CHARACTERS OF CHRISTMAS: Jesus and You (a sermon to be preached on Dec. 20, 2015, at Kenwood Church in Livonia, MI)

Jesus is the reason for the season.  Right?  Our self-absorbed, narcissistic, me first culture believes that Christmas is all about us, and that is 100% correct.  Just not in the way we think.

What I get, who I see, how much I enjoy the party, where I go, why I wanted the other sweater matter little during this Christmas season.  Christmas centers on us but not in that way.  My personal wants, likes, preferences, and indulgences only obscure the real reason we stand center stage in the cosmic Christmas story.  The haze of personal gratification only confuses the issue.

Christmas is all about us because Jesus made it all about us.  Jesus may be the reason for the season, but we are the reason that he came.

Philippians 2:5b-8 says,

Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature[a] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death
        even death on a cross!


No comments:

Post a Comment