Wednesday, April 15, 2015

JAMES: PRACTICAL WISDOM FOR TODAY - Trials and Temptations (a blogpost for a sermon to be preached on April 19, 2015 at Kenwood Church in Livonia, MI)

I have always been fascinated by why people write what they do.  Why does James link trials and temptations in almost the same thought?  Does he see temptation as part of the testing that helps us become "mature and complete, not lacking anything."  If so, should our outlook on temptation change?

Most of us (understandably so) would prefer to stay away from temptation.  Should we take a new approach to temptation by seeing the opportunity in the midst of the curse.  I am not advocating creating scenarios where we encounter temptation, but I am pressing the manner in which we understand the reality of temptation.

I want temptation no more than I want trials, but there is a benefit to both.  My maturity and growth are connected to these terrible t's.  I may not want them, but I may need them.  I may pray they would never come upon me, but I must see what God is doing in the midst of them.

I believe that God works through both, the blessing and the curse.  To miss this is to miss how we exist in this world.  We are not merely God's receptacle of good; we are God's overcomers of the curse.  We demonstrate His lordship when we are stewards of blessing and victors over the curse.  We do not get "either or"; we got "both and".  God receives the glory in both the blessing and curse.  God gets the praise at all times in every situation.  Our God rules over the perfected and the fallen.  God meets us in the trial and the temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment