Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mentor Like Jesus - Prayer as Practice

I would rather follow someone who can really pray rather than really teach.  Sermons are great, but earth shaking prayer gets me every time.

My dad's mother, Ila Mae, was the best pray-er I have ever known.  I used to listen at her bedroom door when she would stay with us.  She knew the Bible well but was not the best theologian.  She had a strong faith, and that was evident in her prayers.  She displayed the faith she claimed in her earnest prayers.

Followers today need more than "true" words.  The experience of our faith through the discipline of prayer expands the truthfulness of Scripture into the expansiveness of our life in God.  Prayer demonstrates the integral bond between what we know and what we trust.  I must, at all times, live beyond what I know for that is the field in which faith grows.  My backyard of known truths cannot possibly offer the potentiality of the fallow field of faith.  Prayer moves us toward the harvest of faith.

Does your prayer life demonstrate how much faith you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment