Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Unceasing prayer should have been my last post

God has always had a way of taking me through the sermons I would preach.  My life. often, encounters aspects of my Sunday morning messages just in time for me to learn what God really wants me to know.

On Oct. 22, 2013, my wife, Paula Lackie, was involved in a hit-and-run accident while walking our dog.  It is now almost 3 weeks later, and she has been home from the hospital for 2 and 1/2 weeks.  Physical and Occupational therapy started last week.  I am glad to say that she is progressing.

The irony of being told that your wife was found on a sidewalk in your neighborhood while you are finishing a message on unceasing prayer is not lost on me.  The sermon on Sunday, Oct. 27, was probably the most difficult single sermon of my life.  I had told many people that this series, The Vertical Church, was the most important sermon series of my ministerial career, but I would discover that I had no real idea why.

Unceasing prayer became the context of my life, not just the content of my next sermon.  Connection to the Father was my only hope.  Prayer was the only vehicle to the thrown room of the One who could heal her.  Hypotheticals, theological concepts, and cute illustrations fell by the wayside.  The reality of a Father whose ear was unceasingly listening to my prayers was the only information that mattered.

After that Sunday, I moved to another sermon series, Give and It Shall Be Given, which has humbled me even more.  My sermons are planned many months in advance.  I had no idea there would be a reason for my church family to give to my family as they have these last 3 weeks.  Their love and support have helped us get through this difficult ordeal.

My wife should have a full recover according to the doctors.  There is much work and more time needed to get her back up to speed.  Our dog, Buddy, is fine.  He was not hit.  Our family will survive because we are fighters.   I am just grateful that she was not killed.  We will overcome.  We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

No comments:

Post a Comment