Saturday, June 11, 2022

MY HOPE IS IN YOU: The Heart Broken by Hatred 6-12-22

MY HOPE IS IN YOU: The Heart Broken by Hatred 6-12-22

INTRODUCTION

”Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.”

                              Thomas Jones

One of the worst cases of hatred I have ever come across is found in a will written in 1935 by a Mr. Donohoe. It says, "Unto my two daughters, Frances Marie and Denise Victoria, by reason of their unfilial attitude toward a doting father...I leave the sum of $1.00 to each and a father's curse. May their lives be fraught with misery, unhappiness, and poignant sorrow. May their deaths be soon and of a lingering malignant and torturous nature."

The last line of the will is so vicious I shudder to quote it. It reads, "May their souls rest in hell and suffer the torments of the condemned for eternity."

                              Our Daily Bread, February 18, 1994

“Be merciful to me, my God, for my enemies are in hot pursuit; all day long they press their attack. My adversaries pursue me all day long; in their pride many are attacking me. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise— in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? All day long they twist my words; all their schemes are for my ruin. They conspire, they lurk, they watch my steps, hoping to take my life. Because of their wickedness do not let them escape; in your anger, God, bring the nations down. Record my misery; list my tears on your scroll— are they not in your record? Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me. In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise— in God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me? I am under vows to you, my God; I will present my thank offerings to you. For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.”

                              Psalms 56:1-13 NIV

I.  THE CONTEXT OF HATRED

After a tough and discouraging day at work, Melvin plopped himself on the couch and began wallowing in self-pity. He moaned to his wife, "Nobody cares about me. In fact, the whole world hates me."

Without even looking up from her work, Melvin’s wife replied, "That’s not true, honey. The whole world couldn’t possibly hate you, because most of them don’t even know you."

(Source: Houston Chronicle, 11/29/6, p.E2. From a sermon by Stephen Collins, "Part 3: Our Biggest Challenge" 1/14/2009)

“Be merciful to me, my God, for my enemies are in hot pursuit; all day long they press their attack. My adversaries pursue me all day long; in their pride many are attacking me. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise— in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”

                              Psalms 56:1-4 NIV

               A.  The story behind the story

“That day David fled from Saul and went to Achish king of Gath. But the servants of Achish said to him, “Isn’t this David, the king of the land? Isn’t he the one they sing about in their dances: “ ‘Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands’?” David took these words to heart and was very much afraid of Achish king of Gath. So he pretended to be insane in their presence; and while he was in their hands he acted like a madman, making marks on the doors of the gate and letting saliva run down his beard. Achish said to his servants, “Look at the man! He is insane! Why bring him to me? Am I so short of madmen that you have to bring this fellow here to carry on like this in front of me? Must this man come into my house? David left Gath and escaped to the cave of Adullam. When his brothers and his father’s household heard about it, they went down to him there.”

                              1 Samuel 21:10-22:1 NIV

               B.  Running into hate

               C.  The cave of despair

II.  THE WAY OF HATRED

               A.  The actions of his enemies

“Be merciful to me, my God, for my enemies are in hot pursuit; all day long they press their attack. My adversaries pursue me all day long”

                              Psalms 56:1-2a NIV

                              1.  Pursuit - “trampled on me”

                              2.  Press their attack - “oppressed”

                              3.  Pursue - “trample”

               B.  The attitudes of his enemies

“In their pride many are attacking me.”

                              Psalms 56:2b NIV

               C.  The attacks of his enemies

“All day long they twist my words; all their schemes are for my ruin. They conspire, they lurk, they watch my steps, hoping to take my life. Because of their wickedness do not let them escape; in your anger, God, bring the nations down.”

                              Psalms 56:5-7 NIV

                              1.  Misrepresent

                              2.  Plot

                              3.  Wish evil

III.  THE COMPLEX RESPONSE OF GOD

               A.  God knows

“Record my misery; list my tears on your scroll— are they not in your record? Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me. In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise— in God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me? I am under vows to you, my God; I will present my thank offerings to you. For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.”

                              Psalms 56:8-13 NIV

               B.  God allows

“During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.”

                              Hebrews 5:7-10 NIV

“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.”

                              Hebrews 12:11 NIV

               B.  God overcomes

“Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me.”

                              Psalms 56:9 NIV

CONCLUSION

The context of hatred, the way of hatred, the complex response of God

“I am under vows to you, my God; I will present my thank offerings to you. For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.”

                              Psalms 56:12-13 NIV

Our response - a.  A thankful heart, b. A faithful life

Story taken from Dr. David Jeremiah:

The Ortiz family ministers to a small congregation in Ariel, about 40 miles north of Jerusalem. On the Feast of Purim, gifts of food and drink are sent to friends. As if in celebration of the holiday, a gift basket was delivered to the Ortiz home. 15 year old Ami was home alone, and he tore into the package with the anticipation of some candy and some other sweet treat. He certainly did not anticipate the explosion that ripped into his young body. Hundreds of shards, including pieces of metal, safety pins, and screws, pierced him and left him in critical condition. He was blinded by the shrapnel imbedded in his eyes, and both eardrums were punctured, leaving him with a significant loss of hearing. Ami spent 5 months in the hospital, lost some toes through amputation, and endured nearly a year in a pressure suit to assist in his healing from his severe burns.

When Ami was questioned by the reporter about his attitude toward those who did this evil to him, he replied: "I don’t feel hate. I don’t see a reason for it. It’s just not there. It wasn’t there from the beginning. I don’t even know how to explain it, but it’s just not there. No hate at all."

How can Ami have no hate in his heart? Only through the cross of Christ.

“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

                              Luke 6:27-31 NIV

VIDEO - “Be a Light” - Thomas Rhett

CHALLENGE

What will you do with what you have just heard?  How will you respond to the Holy Spirit working within you?  The Challenge is intended to give us an opportunity to contemplate what God is calling us to do in our lives.  Consider these questions and write down your answers. 

               1.  Have you endured hatred?

               2.  Who has/does hate you?

               3.  How have you experienced hatred?

               4.  Have you forgiven those who hate you?

               5.  What good can you do to those who hate you? 

INVITATION

It is our custom to offer an "invitation" following the preaching of the Word.  You may want to follow Jesus.  You may want to proclaim your faith.  You may want to repent (stop doing ungodly things and start doing Godly things).  Perhaps you want to be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Possibly, if you have already responded to God’s call in these ways, you would like to become a member of Kenwood Church.  If you have been moved by the Holy Spirit to make a decision in your life, you can come forward now.  If you would like, I would be honored to speak with you following the service about what God is doing in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment