Saturday, June 5, 2021

"POTLUCK: Let us thank God for our many blessings.” - 6-6-21

 "POTLUCK: Let us thank God for our many blessings.” - 6-6-21


INTRODUCTION


Learning to pray at meal times was an important lesson for many of us when we were younger.  


Two men were walking through a field one day when they spotted an enraged bull. Instantly they darted toward the nearest fence.  The storming bull followed in hot pursuit, and it was soon apparent they wouldn't make it. 


Terrified, the one shouted to the other, "Put up a prayer, John. We're in for it!" 


John answered, "I can't. I've never made a public prayer in my life."


"But you must!" implored his companion. "The bull is catching up to us."


 "All right," panted John, "I'll say the only prayer I know, the one my father used to repeat at the table: 'O Lord, for what we are about to receive, make us truly thankful.'"

Source Unknown.


I. WE HAVE MUCH FOR WHICH TO BE THANKFUL

 

A 12 year old boy named David was born without an immune system. He underwent a bone marrow transplant in order to correct the deficiency. Up to that point he had spent his entire life in a plastic bubble in order to prevent exposure to common germs, bacteria, and viruses that could kill him. He lived without ever knowing human contact. When asked what he'd like to do if and when released from his protective bubble, he replied, "I want to walk barefoot on grass, and touch my mother's hand."


A.  Continued worship and new opportunities 

B.  Parking Lot Service

C.  Those who have worked so hard

D.  God’s Providence

1.  Sound system

2.  Our setup

3.  Maintaining our campus

a.  Replaced 2 roofs

   

II.  WE MUST BE THANKFUL PEOPLE (ATTITUDE)


Every time I forget to feel grateful to be among them, I hear the voice of an eight-year-old named Christina, who had cancer of the nervous system. When asked what she wanted for her birthday, she thought long and hard and finally said, "I don't know. I have two sticker books and a Cabbage Patch doll. I have everything!" The kid is right. 

Erma Bombeck, Redbook, October,1992


A. God provides what we need

‬‬ “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.”

‭‭ Psalms‬ ‭23:1-6‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


“His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.”

‭‭ 2 Peter‬ ‭1:3‬ ‭NIV‬‬


B.  God outperforms our wishes and dreams 

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”

‭‭ Ephesians‬ ‭3:20-21‬ ‭NIV‬‬

C.  We must be thankful


III.  WE MUST PRACTICE GRATITUDE (ACTION)


“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

‭‭ 1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5:16-18‬ ‭NIV‬‬


A.  Give thanks individually 

B.  Give thanks corporately 


The first American Thanksgiving didn't occur in 1621 when a group of Pilgrims shared a feast with a group of friendly Indians. The first recorded thanksgiving took place in Virginia more than 11 years earlier, and it wasn't a feast. The winter of 1610 at Jamestown had reduced a group of 409 settlers to 60. The survivors prayed for help, without knowing when or how it might come. When help arrived, in the form of a ship filled with food and supplies from England, a prayer meeting was held to give thanks to God. 

Today in the Word, July, 1990, p. 22


CONCLUSION


We have much to be grateful for.  We should be thankful.  We should show gratitude.


CHALLENGE

 

Make a list of 10 items you are thankful for.  Spend 10 minutes demonstrating to God that your are grateful.


INVITATION


It is our custom to offer an "invitation" following the preaching of the Word.  You may want to follow Jesus.  You may want to proclaim your faith.  You may want to repent (stop doing ungodly things and start doing Godly things).  Perhaps you want to be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Possibly, if you have already responded to God’s call in these ways, you would like to become a member of Kenwood Church.  If you have been moved by the Holy Spirit to make a decision in your life, I would be honored to speak with you in the upper parking lot following the service about what God is doing in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment